Nuestro Servicio de Anestesiología consta de 70 Anestesiologos adscritos y 42 Residentes en proceso de formación. Atiende todas las disciplinas quirúrgicas y de alta especialidad, con una productividad en la actualidad de 24000 procedimientos anuales.

jueves, 11 de octubre de 2012

Guillermo Ruíz-Ripstein M.D.: My Belle Epoque


 
Back in 1956 I just had finished my medicine studies in Mexico, my birthplace. I went to Chicago as an exchange student to serve on a rotating internship at a small hospital (South Shore); at this hospital I got better acquainted with the English language, which is very different from what I learned back in my country. I learned about a whole new world of medicine with lots of technology and discipline. That was a year full of challenges and experiences, some good and some bad; but I was lucky to have sympathetic colleagues and friendly patients with the foreign doctors. Feeling like a child out of his natural environment who was hardly speaking english; I still remember the patients who helped me translate when I was on duty. I got marked that year in a positive way for all my life because I realized that there is a side of medicine full of opportunities and joyful people.

After that I became a resident in a prestigious hospital (Michael Reese Medical Center), it was also in Chicago “The Windy City”. With its open air concerts in Grant and Ravinia parks, cultural events at the University of Chicago, Museums, the Loop and the Water Tower, Berghoff’s, Bellini’s Café, Saturday nights at “Old town”, Uno’s and Due’s pizza, and new Holydays for me like thanksgiving, the romantic evenings at the lake shores and so on…

I had a real learning experience in that hospital. The Professors shared with me all their knowledge, experience, secrets, and the art in all disciplines of Anesthesiology. All of this in exchange of hard work. They also honored me with their friendship that will last forever.

Now I can say those years were one of the happiest moments of my life. Nostalgia... and memories still alive. As Robert Zimmerman (Bob Dylan) said: are “Blowing in the Wind”.

 

*Universidad de Guadalajara. Hospital  Civil de Guadalajara. México. gripstein19@hotmail.com

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario